Friday, August 29, 2008

BLUETS, REFRIGERATORS AND CRASH-BAM

Just some random thoughts, for those who might care. None of them are long enough to qualify as a real post, so maybe I should follow Tim and get Twitter (but new things like that intimidate me, so we'll just have to wait and see. First of all, blueberries (or bluets as I, and the French of Spanish, like to call them) are one of my all time favorite fruits. Full of blue goodness and rich in anti-oxidants, these little berries bring wonder, health and amazement to your taste buds and your body. They are absolutely delicious, and go well alone, or mixed in with yogurt and granola, cereal and milk, in a healthy smoothie, or in pancakes (Todd's favorite breakfast). I love bluets! We got a new refrigerator the other day (where I store my cartons of bluets to keep them fresh). After someone left the door slightly ajar most of the afternoon (who could that be?), it was constantly running with a really, super cold freezer and a sorta cold refrigerator with more condensation than I prefer. We called maintenance and after a long visit with us and our fridge, they decided that we'd be getting a new one in the morning. It held up fine over night, keeping our food safe (from warmth, not from robbers or raccoons). In the morning, about an hour and fifteen minutes after they told me they'd be there, the men arrived with a new fridge and after a process of emptying the contents, joking about our food and reversing the doors on the new unit, we are the proud owners (not really owners, just users) of a new appliance. Surprisingly, the old fridge kept our food cold despite a three hour power outage in the middle of the night from the coolest thunderstorm in a long time. There was immense crash-bam thunder, even some that made Tom just awake (I was just laying there enjoying it, but I didn't have to be up early). And there was lots of magnificent lightning. I love a "good thunderstorm," as my mom would call it, and enjoy the power of God in display every once in awhile. And to top it off, the last two days have been gorgeous, post storm days with sunshine and cooler air.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How did your bluets hold up?

Katy said...

The bluets held up pretty well. We bought two pints, since they were on sale, and the second pint had to be thrown out before I was finished; but that was mostly me being "unsure" of what was a normal part of a blueberry and what was possibly mold, so I played safe and threw them out.

We just bought some new ones this weekend though. I plan to get them as often as I can until the season is over.