Theophilus (thee - of - il - os) def. Lover of God; God lover; Friend of God. From the Greek theos, meaning God and phileo, meaning love.
Theophilus has always been one of my favorite Biblical names. Many people like Biblical names and name their children common Bible names like John, Sarah, Mark, Matthew, Paul, Timothy, Rachel, Mary etc. and some will go with the less common Old Testament ones like Esther, Noah, Isaiah, Hezakiah, Zechariah. . . I've even met an Abraham or two in my life. And many of these are wonderful names with great meaning. (Abraham, for instance, means Father of Nations.) But I think that to have a name - an identity - as simple as lover of God would be an incredible blessing. I would love to be called by that name, but I suppose it's too late for that. And I have seriously thought of having a son name Theophilus (and getting away with the nickname Theo growing up, hoping that people don't think he's named after the only son of the Cosby family). But in case that one won't fly, we've decided to name our (hopefully) future coffeeshop Theophilus Coffeehouse/Cafe. And because that dream isn't a reality at this moment, I will have to go with plan D and stick with giving my blog that name.
Theophilus has always been one of my favorite Biblical names. Many people like Biblical names and name their children common Bible names like John, Sarah, Mark, Matthew, Paul, Timothy, Rachel, Mary etc. and some will go with the less common Old Testament ones like Esther, Noah, Isaiah, Hezakiah, Zechariah. . . I've even met an Abraham or two in my life. And many of these are wonderful names with great meaning. (Abraham, for instance, means Father of Nations.) But I think that to have a name - an identity - as simple as lover of God would be an incredible blessing. I would love to be called by that name, but I suppose it's too late for that. And I have seriously thought of having a son name Theophilus (and getting away with the nickname Theo growing up, hoping that people don't think he's named after the only son of the Cosby family). But in case that one won't fly, we've decided to name our (hopefully) future coffeeshop Theophilus Coffeehouse/Cafe. And because that dream isn't a reality at this moment, I will have to go with plan D and stick with giving my blog that name.
1 comment:
I think Theo is a fantastic name. What's sad is that some people would go so far as to name their kid a biblical name only because it is CUTE....and not because of its meaning....:)) I personally like the biblical name Baig.
Post a Comment