A few days ago, a woman came in from the corporate office to evaluate our store. Somehow, it usually happens that these visitors come during my shift. On this particular day, I was having a not-so-great morning (late start, strangely busy morning, late co-worker, messy garbage eperience etc.) at the point where she came in to order her drink. I certainly wasn't rude to her, but I wasn't really that friendly either. I am sure I said "hi" and possibly a "how are you?" or "what can I get for you today?" but didn't start a conversation besides that. I more or less just took her order. Needless to say, this didn't get high marks on friendliness. It was about 10-15 minutes into her sitting down to meet with the owner that it dawned on me who she was and why she was there and the mental post-it note, reminding me that she was coming that morning, was found in my head.
Awhile later she came to meet with my co-worker and I to go over some customer service thoughts. She has us leave the store and come back in twice for an excercise. Scenario #1 was the aloof employee, a few steps down from how we had performed that morning, but a representation of satisfactory (but not poor) customer service. Scenario #2 was the (over the top) friendly employee, who not only says hi and asks how you are doing a few times, but tries to carry on conversation the entire time you are in their presence while also trying to lure you into buying bakery items. At the end of this excercise, she asked "which store would you come back you?" My co-worker answered, "neither one" and I answered, "yeah, somewhere in the middle of those two stores." We both agreed that being aloof and un-friendly isn't the best environment, but being overly friendly and non-genuine as well as pushy to sell bakery items (up-selling) doesn't make me come back either. So, this experience, as well as the conversations that followed with staff and the owner, has continued the discussion in my head (and sometimes with Tom) about what type of environment people like. Apparently, most people like the environment where they are greeted instantly and treated in what seems to be an overly friendly manner by the employee. If this didn't work, it wouldn't be the method used by most businesses and corporations. However, I personally prefer the more authentic environment, where you feel that the person behind the counter is being "real" with you, and may admit to having a bad day but still treat you well.
Feedback please - What is your ideal enviroment for a coffeehouse?
Awhile later she came to meet with my co-worker and I to go over some customer service thoughts. She has us leave the store and come back in twice for an excercise. Scenario #1 was the aloof employee, a few steps down from how we had performed that morning, but a representation of satisfactory (but not poor) customer service. Scenario #2 was the (over the top) friendly employee, who not only says hi and asks how you are doing a few times, but tries to carry on conversation the entire time you are in their presence while also trying to lure you into buying bakery items. At the end of this excercise, she asked "which store would you come back you?" My co-worker answered, "neither one" and I answered, "yeah, somewhere in the middle of those two stores." We both agreed that being aloof and un-friendly isn't the best environment, but being overly friendly and non-genuine as well as pushy to sell bakery items (up-selling) doesn't make me come back either. So, this experience, as well as the conversations that followed with staff and the owner, has continued the discussion in my head (and sometimes with Tom) about what type of environment people like. Apparently, most people like the environment where they are greeted instantly and treated in what seems to be an overly friendly manner by the employee. If this didn't work, it wouldn't be the method used by most businesses and corporations. However, I personally prefer the more authentic environment, where you feel that the person behind the counter is being "real" with you, and may admit to having a bad day but still treat you well.
Feedback please - What is your ideal enviroment for a coffeehouse?
2 comments:
I agree with your thoughts, sister. I'd rather employees be natural with me. There's a certain coffeehouse in a certain Chicago suburb where the owners dont try to hide their moods. Sometimes they ask you about stuff in your life - othertimes, they make *no* attempt to mask their foul mood. Either way, they still do exactly what you came there for - make your coffee. When someone is overly friendly behind the counter it sometimes makes me crabby. Sometimes you're not in the mood for small talk. I'd say the *intuitive* barista is the best. You can usually sense if someone is in a good mood and wants to chat or if they just want their mocha and their paper. Over friendly sales staff is why I *dread* going shopping for clothes. I hate being bothered every 5 minutes and being handed clothes that I dont want. Let people be - but still be courteous, friendly and respectful.
When I was working and training at a Borders store, I was always much more sanguine and overly helpful than I want store employees to be, but that's just because I'm a misanthrope (and because I recognize that there are many who want the more eager personality, and because I realize it's better to err on the side of too-helpfulness than unhelpfulness).
Post a Comment