

At one point in college, during a class, a few friends and I decided to try to write our notes in cursive, wondering whether or not we actually remembered how. (See, that's the kind of fun Christian colleges offer!) It was a bit frustrating to realize that I had only a vague idea how to write in cursive. I was so excited in second grade when we finally learned how (though our class was not behaving and got held back from learning it for about two weeks or something, as I remember). I used to think it was pretty cool to write in fancy letters.
But then it just died out. It was hard to read cursive. Forming my own style of print seemed even cooler and besides, I had a really strong urge to pick up my pencil while I wrote my letters. Anyways, I have wondered for a long time whether or not cursive writing has died out. It used to be an art-form in a way and a sign of education (I assume). But now, I am not so sure. How many people still use cursive writing, outside of signing your name? I know that some certain someones sends us cursive letters in the mail (not cut-outs of cursive letters, but the "Dear Katy" kind, written with nice cursive). I don't see cursive too often. Yet we still teach kids how to write cursive sometime in elementary school.
Today, when I had to stand, staring over a students shoulder, watching him write the cursive alphabet in "big letters" twice, my mind had ample time to wander about the purpose and the life of this art form. Maybe it's just to teach a discipline and listen to instructions. Maybe it's to give everyone a chance for some artistic activity in everyday life (for those who don't regularly do paint by number or have fun with finger paints).
But then it just died out. It was hard to read cursive. Forming my own style of print seemed even cooler and besides, I had a really strong urge to pick up my pencil while I wrote my letters. Anyways, I have wondered for a long time whether or not cursive writing has died out. It used to be an art-form in a way and a sign of education (I assume). But now, I am not so sure. How many people still use cursive writing, outside of signing your name? I know that some certain someones sends us cursive letters in the mail (not cut-outs of cursive letters, but the "Dear Katy" kind, written with nice cursive). I don't see cursive too often. Yet we still teach kids how to write cursive sometime in elementary school.
Today, when I had to stand, staring over a students shoulder, watching him write the cursive alphabet in "big letters" twice, my mind had ample time to wander about the purpose and the life of this art form. Maybe it's just to teach a discipline and listen to instructions. Maybe it's to give everyone a chance for some artistic activity in everyday life (for those who don't regularly do paint by number or have fun with finger paints).
No comments:
Post a Comment