Friday, January 09, 2009

Katy versus the Computer

I seem to be having multiple issues with the computer lately. We did just update to a new operating system (again, thank you for the wonderful gift of 10.5.4); my problems, however, seem to go to the core of computer and internet issues. They are the type of problems that I have dealt with since my earliest memories of working on computers.

The first task was simple: all Tom and I needed to do was create a calendar for worship, sound and power point people for the next few months. We got through the tough part (actually creating the schedule for those things), but struggled with the part of actually putting it into a calendar. It seemed that Entourage wasn't going to work, so we decided to put the information onto iCal. It seemed easy, but I fought with iCal for a number hours, into the middle of the night, and I lost. All I wanted to do was to have everything appear in a clear, concise order so that I don't look like a fool. I wanted an easy to read, nice looking calendar to send out. No matter how nice it looked on iCal, when I went to print it, it would show up in another order. I tried every possible thing to get the items to appear in the order I wanted them on the calendar, but the more I tried, the more frustrated I got. Sure, I made some progress, and a few things worked out, but not all of it. I finally gave up and went to bed. We tred again the next day, but a it was official, iCal won and I lost. This might be a lesson in my procrastination followed by perfectionism (meaning that I put off large things until close to the last minute and then my need for things to be done well kicks in, resulting in long nights), but how would the computer know that those are my struggles?

The second task was also simple: remember your user name and password for various websites. I have tried to follow the rules for creating these user names and passwords - keeping it simple, easy for me to remember, hard for others to remember etc. But somewhere along the path, what was easy to remember on one day is impossible to remember on the next. And when I click the "forgotten password" link, that promises to solve all of my problems, I get more frustrated. It says an email has been sent to my account with my password information, but when I check, there is no email there. Could it be that I have forgotten a hidden email account that I use for all of my other online accounts?

No comments: