The day started out snowy and beautiful. It was a perfect day for a wonderful snowshoeing experience, one that had been planned and hoped for all week. The fluffy snow was adding to some snow we already got earlier this week which added to some snow that was here when we got back from Christmas. I love the beauty of winter. The cold, the snow and the beauty and power of God that is displayed for all to see are a great reminder to all (even those who don't believe in God) that something is more powerful and beautiful than us.
We bundled up into our warm snow-gear and headed outside to put on our snowshoes. After a bit of struggle strapping them on with mittens on, we were all set to start out. The walk was beautiful and peaceful. The snow covered everything and the drifts left fun little caverns where animals should have been hiding. Snow flurries were blowing around us as we walked and the feeling was serene and peaceful. The wind was loud and the trees were creaky and noisy when we'd stop to take in the sounds and stillness of the scene around us. Mostly, we just heard the crunching of the snow beneath our snowshoes and the wind blowing around us.
There is a certain stillness to nature in winter that can't be matched any other time of year. I love all the times of year and the feel of being outside at those times, but winter has it's own beauty, peacefulness and power to it. It was great to have an opportunity (and the means) to take this all in today.
We bundled up into our warm snow-gear and headed outside to put on our snowshoes. After a bit of struggle strapping them on with mittens on, we were all set to start out. The walk was beautiful and peaceful. The snow covered everything and the drifts left fun little caverns where animals should have been hiding. Snow flurries were blowing around us as we walked and the feeling was serene and peaceful. The wind was loud and the trees were creaky and noisy when we'd stop to take in the sounds and stillness of the scene around us. Mostly, we just heard the crunching of the snow beneath our snowshoes and the wind blowing around us.
There is a certain stillness to nature in winter that can't be matched any other time of year. I love all the times of year and the feel of being outside at those times, but winter has it's own beauty, peacefulness and power to it. It was great to have an opportunity (and the means) to take this all in today.
As I walked, I remembered a favorite poem of my mother's:
"Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there's some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep. "
-from Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost
3 comments:
Congratulations on using youR snowshoes! Sounds like it was really nice.
Sounds like a wonderful excursion! I'm jealous. Glad that you guys had a great time. I too, see such a beauty and power in the winter which reveals Gods love through His amazing creation.
I went snowshoeing today, it was pretty awesome to be out in the woods.
Post a Comment