Friday, December 29, 2006

THE CONVERSATION SHIRT

Some articles of clothing just encourage conversation. For instance, my "Oh no, I'm becoming my mother!" shirt usually gets a chuckle and the question "is that a good or bad thing?" (It's a good thing, mom.) Another favorite t-shirt says "I follow." on the front and this, as well, usually get's a question. My "Force Broomball "shirt has encouraged some interesting comments as well.

However, the shirt that I have dubbed "the conversation shirt" is really quite basic. It's a long sleeved, gray t-shirt with a very small emblem ( a B in a circle) and "Bethel College and Seminary" printed under that in fairly small print. However, every time I wear this shirt to work I get at least two full conversations out of it from customers (and a couple of shorter "oh, do you go to Bethel?" conversations). I have spoken to the father of a senior in high school about the school, as his son is considering going there. I have spoken to a couple of men studying at Bethel Seminary as well as one who is considering attending there. I've spoken to parents of students who have graduated there or are attending there. And today, I spoke to a mother who seemed to think that the education isn't quite worth the money (said more subtly than that).

No comments: