Inconsistency is a very frustrating thing for in, in many different areas of life. I hadn't really realized it before, but things not being consistent drives me nuts. For instance, the inconsistent driver (the one riding in the left lane slowing down and speeding up for no particular reason) can be a real headache on the road. The friend who doesn't always remember to call or meet you somewhere can make you feel lonely (I am guilty of not always calling when I say I will!) CSI-Weekends being on a different time on different nights can be annoying. Someone calling you a different name each time they see you can feel a bit strange. There are many other examples. I know that I am probably inconsistent in more areas of my life than I realize. Even with that in mind, I still have a few thoughts on the issue of inconsistency. So . . . back to the lecture at hand.
Lately, I have been faced with inconsistency in my job quite a bit, and realize that there are many things that are not at all consistent. Different people charge a different price for the same drink. Different people make a mix for drinks differently. The rules to the bakery change regularly, but no ones knows them so everyone is confused. The schedule isn't very consistent. Today, I realized that this really bugs me and that I find it unacceptable in this kind of environment. I am not a "same old, same old" person who wants every day to look the same for the rest of my life, but I feel that this kind of being consistent matters. I think that a customer should be able to expect to be charged the same price for their drink each day of the week (except Mondays - we have a small coffee special) and not have to pay attention to a fifty cent price difference. There are a variety of things like this that, while pointed out, still remain a frustration for many and still remain very inconsistent. But at least as of Monday, we will all be wearing the same color shirt. We might not run very consistently, but I think that black shirts will fool them :)
Lately, I have been faced with inconsistency in my job quite a bit, and realize that there are many things that are not at all consistent. Different people charge a different price for the same drink. Different people make a mix for drinks differently. The rules to the bakery change regularly, but no ones knows them so everyone is confused. The schedule isn't very consistent. Today, I realized that this really bugs me and that I find it unacceptable in this kind of environment. I am not a "same old, same old" person who wants every day to look the same for the rest of my life, but I feel that this kind of being consistent matters. I think that a customer should be able to expect to be charged the same price for their drink each day of the week (except Mondays - we have a small coffee special) and not have to pay attention to a fifty cent price difference. There are a variety of things like this that, while pointed out, still remain a frustration for many and still remain very inconsistent. But at least as of Monday, we will all be wearing the same color shirt. We might not run very consistently, but I think that black shirts will fool them :)
1 comment:
I think your wish for consistency in the work place, especially in pricing and coffee preparation, aren't necessarily your desire for consistency as much as your desire for good and fair customer service. There shouldn't be a difference. And, Amen to wanting consistency.
Post a Comment