Wednesday, February 11, 2009

a movie? dinner? a museum? a play? the opera?

Tuesday night Tom and I went on a surprise date. He just told me that we were going somewhere on Tuesday night. What is there on a Tuesday night? I had a plethora of guesses, none of which was correct and Tom loved that fact that I couldn't figure it out. Keep in mind that Tom always wants to figure out what the surprise is when I try to surprise him. He usually does guess, either because he is an awesome guesser or because my face gives it away or both.

I finally came close to guessing when we were driving past the Target Center. Once we parked, I guessed that we were going to a WNBA game. I was so close, on my 20th guess (or thereabouts), but not quite. Once he pulled out the tickets (after a long walk from the parking garage where he was smiling because I couldn't quite figure out the surprise), I realized that we were going to a Timberwolves game. For those who don't know, this is Minnesota's NBA team, not baseball or hockey. Then I was super excited.

Yes, I was excited. I love basketball and I love to watch live basketball and relive the days when I used to actually be a basketball player (borderline athlete) and I love watching a sport with Tom that I might actually know more about (like two facts, maybe). I have been to two Chicago Bulls games before, which were awesome (and one included Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippin and the greats of that day), but Tom and I have never been to an NBA basketball game before. We have only been to high school games (individually) and some sweet Bethel women's games to watch some great friends of ours play. But this was a first, and the first time I've really watched the Timberwolves.


I even got to howl like a wolf and relive the day I saw "Cry of the Wild" (or another wolf movie, I actually can't remember for sure which on) in the movie theater as a child. Apparently, I started to howl along with the wolves in my seat. Since it was the days before true surround sound, people realized it was a person and not the movie (the sound was quite realistic, I am sure) and laughed at me. This time, the howling was along with the crowd, and I only howled right before a free-throw shot and not during (like everyone else, which I possibly count as bas sportsmanship, but not sure yet), but it was fun to howl.

The Timberwolves lost, but it was a pretty decent game and just fun to watch in real life (but so different than T.V.). I even got to eat a hotdog and a giant soft pretzel (a requirement of sporting events).Thanks, Tom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work Tom!! Sounds like a great time. -Todd