
There is a basket of clothes in our bedroom that has been there for at least a week. Clean, but unfolded. Each day we have to frantically tear through the pile (while trying to keep everything in the basket), just to find certain clothing necessities. There is another pile of clean clothes that is sitting on our love seat in the living room, waiting to be folded (but it's whites, and I hate folding whites - boring and lots of socks). Not only has it sat there for about as long, but it has been transferred into our bedroom and back to this spot at least three different times. It's not in a basket, so it's funny to watch Tom carry them back and forth from the bedroom, as if they are really heavy and also fragile. This pile also gets frantically torn through as we hope to find two matching socks. All this extra work goes into not doing the work of folding the clothes.
The thing is that this is normal. I'm told by friends that it's normal for them too, but I never see the clothes when I go to their houses (no one sees ours either I guess, since they hide in the bedroom). I don't know whether it's laziness or busyness or the combination of two. For example, there has been time in front of the TV that would be perfect for folding clothes. But, from all the busyness, we are usually so exhausted that we need to just sit with our feet on the ottoman as opposed to sit and fold clothes there. And then the piling up of the task makes it overwhelming and sometimes, when I get overwhelmed, I do less, not more, to remedy the situation.
These are the things I refer to when I say that we are not really like adults in lots of ways. Do real adults leave clothes like this? Please tell me that the answer is yes. I had a moment of thinking that when I finish posting this, I might just be motivated to fold the clothes. But I won't. I will do some other chores to be sure, but the clothes will probably just sit there the rest of the afternoon and then get hidden in the bedroom when we have company over later. Maybe tomorrow.
The thing is that this is normal. I'm told by friends that it's normal for them too, but I never see the clothes when I go to their houses (no one sees ours either I guess, since they hide in the bedroom). I don't know whether it's laziness or busyness or the combination of two. For example, there has been time in front of the TV that would be perfect for folding clothes. But, from all the busyness, we are usually so exhausted that we need to just sit with our feet on the ottoman as opposed to sit and fold clothes there. And then the piling up of the task makes it overwhelming and sometimes, when I get overwhelmed, I do less, not more, to remedy the situation.
These are the things I refer to when I say that we are not really like adults in lots of ways. Do real adults leave clothes like this? Please tell me that the answer is yes. I had a moment of thinking that when I finish posting this, I might just be motivated to fold the clothes. But I won't. I will do some other chores to be sure, but the clothes will probably just sit there the rest of the afternoon and then get hidden in the bedroom when we have company over later. Maybe tomorrow.
1 comment:
I hope you are out of your pj's now - what a story.
Post a Comment