Saturday, October 24, 2009

why not to wear pajamas all day

As noted in a previous post, I can be lazy at times. This is especially true on days where I have nothing I have to do. Especially on Fridays. These days are reserved for getting much needed rest and restoration and for just enjoying no schedule. Yesterday was on of these days. I slept in, made a delicious homemade lunch, talked to my dad on the phone, checked email and blogs and did some dishes. Around 4:00pm I decided it was time to take a shower and move on with the day. I had just put in my contacts and went out to the living room to do something quickly before heading back to shower.

While in the living room I heard a siren and looked out the window to see what was going on. There was a small firetruck pulling up in front of our house, but it could have been for the house next door. I quickly went to the bedroom to do what I could to make myself more appropriate, but the result was still slightly un-matched pajamas with slippers, my hair in a goofy half-up disheveled housewife style and eyes dripping with the eye drops that accompany putting in my contacts. I looked awesome to say the least. I ran to the window in the front door again to see the firemen at our doorstep. I hesitated for a second, questioning whether I should have put on jeans or something and why I hadn't brushed my teeth yet and why these firemen were at my house. I opened the door and stared at them.

"Your security system is going off. We're responding to a call for a medical emergency, fire and a panic/distress call" was the basic response. Confused, I explained that we only moved in a few months ago and that as far as I knew, the security system wasn't even set up. We had paid no money to the company nor had we communicated with them. However, obviously they wouldn't be standing there if we had an inactive security system like I thought. I also explained that I had been home all day
and didn't know of any problems in the house. The kind man in the awesome yellow and black uniform with the cool red hat asked if I was sure everything was alright and I responded that it was. I knew that he was thinking that I looked totally disheveled and like I was crying (stupid eye drops) and I came to the conclusion that he thought I was being attacked and that the attacker was hiding somewhere else in the house and told me to play it cool. But I think he actually believed me. Then he asked me to call the security company. Once I found the phone number on the little sticker on our screen door I called and hit a dead end quickly when I couldn't come up with our password to let them know it was a false alarm. I don't know the password because no one told me we had an actual active security system and I might need to know it someday. Maybe I should have guessed? They directed me to customer service. I explained this to the nice firemen and the police officer that had now joined them.

They asked me to call customer service so we could find out what set off the alarm. I talked to Sterling at customer service for quite awhile, and we were both baffled and confused that they didn't have our address on record and he couldn't find us. I overhead the firemen talking about their new helmets and how they couldn't wait until something fell on their heads to test them out. Sterling said he would have to investigate and call me back. At this point the firemen decided it was ok to leave and I apologized to everyone that they were there and that we wasted their time. I didn't even offer them a drink or snack or place to sit (their pants were filthy though, what was I to do). The police officer took down my driver's licence information (which isn't updated yet, oops) and name, address and phone number but luckily didn't charge me a false alarm charge, since I am not even a client of the alarm company. I wondered if I should ask him if he was the same officer that had gotten called to the church the day before for a false alarm, but I wasn't sure if he'd find it as funny as I did, so I kept quiet.


As they left I stood there baffled and embarrassed that I was in my pajamas. I waited awhile for Sterling to call back to explain that we were one in a million alarm systems that fell through the cracks and that our service hadn't actually been cancelled though all the records indicated it was true. That was why they couldn't find us, because we weren't considered active. We came to the conclusion that we had absolutely no idea what set off the alarm and he apologized for the inconvenience and encouraged me to play the lottery with my great luck.


And that's why you don't wear your pajamas all day.

3 comments:

AL said...

Katy - you totally crack me up. I love the updates from the last few days. Way to be a grown up, and part of being a grown up is knowing that you sometimes have to take a break and spend the whole day in your pjs

lifeonthecutoff said...

Hey, I left you a comment yesterday. It must have expired. That's what happens when you leave your pjs on all day and need the fire department to come over.

Katy said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who enjoyed my amazing story. Alli, thanks for the affirmation of my adulthood. I wonder if the fireman wrote about me on his blog?