Thursday, March 22, 2007

STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT

The other day (Monday), Tom got an email from a close friend, one dating back many years in life (we will call him "Dave"), saying that he was passing through the Twin Cities on his way back home from his job (he spends three weeks in northern Minnesota in the woods with juvenille delinquents). However, I was the one checking the email while Tom was at work. I noticed the title "driving down" and so I figured that was what it was about and read that he was planning to come through that day.

I figured this was a fun way to surprise Tom, by not telling him that Dave was stopping in. So, I contacted Dave and figured out about what time he planned to stop through. When I picked Tom up from work, I just told him that there was a surprise at 7:30pm. Usually, when this happens, I somehow give in and let Tom guess and then he ends up figuring out the surprise. I am horrible at this. In fact, the fish was the best surprise I've pulled off in a long time. But this time, I held my ground . . . mostly. I had to let him know that someone or a few people would be coming over for dinner, when we were having our fun Supermarket Sweep shopping experience (this added to the fun of the game, by the way, trying to figure out what meal would feed more than the two of us). And I did let him guess. He was pretty sure it was someone from out of town (since they were over an hour late from our estimated time, even though I argued that it could be someone local who got out of work later than planned). And he did guess "Dave" in his long list, but had reasons he thought it probably wasn't him. Tom finally knew who the mystery guest was at about 9:00pm, when I made him open the door to find out who it was. It was a fun surprise and a good time was had by all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would this be the same "Dave" who, along with Tom, broke our TV the day before your wedding? These two are dangerous together!