The first snowstorm, last Friday and Saturday, dropped about a foot of fluffy, beautiful snow on us. Then it started to snow again on Thursday around lunchtime. The heavy snow fell through the rest of the day and through the night (with a few short breaks for stretching and water) and stopped sometime early this morning. It was falling at a rate of 1/2 inch to 1 inch per hour at most points and that combined with the winds created blizzard conditions. I don't know that we officially got the title of blizzard here, but at least we had it's conditions! Overall, it accumulated over a foot of snow (added onto last weekends snow). There are huge, fun snowdrifts everywhere and it is definitely appropriate to wear my woodsmen boots outside (I am not one of those high heeled, up to the knee, zippered leather boots girls, I would rather look ridiculous and prepared for chopping down a tree at a minutes notice).
Depending on who you talk to, it is:
(1) Absolutely beautiful outside as the snow covers everything (my favorite is the snow on the huge pine trees by our apartment).
(2) Like winters used to be when people my age were kids in Minnesota
(3) Horrible, just horrible. What a mess! Yuck! (I do not agree with that comment).
Most schools districts are closed and lots of businesses, including some major shopping malls, are also closed for the day. But I guess everyone wants coffee, so both Caribou and Dunn Bros. were open today, although we opened a couple of hours later than usual. I didn't think that it was worthwhile to try to leave at 5:00am to be open by 6:00am, so we delayed a little.
If I could just braid my hair, I think would feel like Laura Ingalls right now in The Long Winter. (The books and not the TV show). I just wish I could go to the barn and help Pa with the chores (and I bet he wishes I would too!). However, more appropriately, we could title this week after one of my favorite children's books, Katy and the Big Snow. To find out how I saved the entire town after the big snow, purchase the book here and enjoy this fun story. (According to my mom, I can also be credited with the feats of Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel in my eating style). Another notable weather appropriate book is The Snowy Day.
Depending on who you talk to, it is:
(1) Absolutely beautiful outside as the snow covers everything (my favorite is the snow on the huge pine trees by our apartment).
(2) Like winters used to be when people my age were kids in Minnesota
(3) Horrible, just horrible. What a mess! Yuck! (I do not agree with that comment).
Most schools districts are closed and lots of businesses, including some major shopping malls, are also closed for the day. But I guess everyone wants coffee, so both Caribou and Dunn Bros. were open today, although we opened a couple of hours later than usual. I didn't think that it was worthwhile to try to leave at 5:00am to be open by 6:00am, so we delayed a little.
If I could just braid my hair, I think would feel like Laura Ingalls right now in The Long Winter. (The books and not the TV show). I just wish I could go to the barn and help Pa with the chores (and I bet he wishes I would too!). However, more appropriately, we could title this week after one of my favorite children's books, Katy and the Big Snow. To find out how I saved the entire town after the big snow, purchase the book here and enjoy this fun story. (According to my mom, I can also be credited with the feats of Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel in my eating style). Another notable weather appropriate book is The Snowy Day.
1 comment:
I love both of those books! I really liked the map of the town that Katy would plow through...I am sure my Grandma loved the books too - since she is the one who had to read them to me over and over.
Post a Comment