Saturday, June 30, 2007

TAN LINES

Today after work, before my long time sitting at Panera, I decided to sit outside for awhile. I thought it would be nice to break up the time a little bit and also maybe get a little sun. However, I was very hot, very quickly and needed to move to the shade. I was also worried about sitting in the sun for long since I didn't have sunscreen on (except on my face). Plus, I didn't want funny tan lines, so I took off my watch and pulled my sleeves up to my shoulders. I am worried about looking funny because of awkward tan lines, yet I looked just as funny sitting there. I am a bit strange, I think. But I never really know how to avoid awkward tan lines. I try to either roll up my sleeves or wear sleeveless shirts when I am hiking or doing something outside for a long time, to avoid the mid-arm color change. And if I remember, I don't wear a watch. But then when it comes time to wearing a nice dress for a wedding or something, I still feel uneven, with dark arms that fade upward to a more pale neck area. I don't go tanning and don't spend much time just laying out in the sun, but that seems like the only way to assure non-funny lines. As I kid I loved it, and would compare my dark arms to my stomach and marvel at how tan I had become. I would even occasionally win the "most tan" contest my sister and I had (all while wearing sunscreen daily, by the way). But now, I just want a summer tan that is even, but without being unhealthy to my skin (I still wear sunscreen).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

...You'll never be as tan as me.....
guess who?

Katy said...

Well, it's either my sister or the one they call "the Tan Man" (you know who you are).

AL said...

Since I graduated from high school, I have given up any hopes of actually getting a tan.

Anonymous said...

It's not your sister....though she DID win all those tanning contests..