Though I exhibit some amount of loyalty to Dunn Bros. (where I am employed), I have to admit that it is not the only coffee company I associate with. First of all, Tom works at Caribou Coffee, a competitor. Second of all, Nicole works for Starbucks, another competitor.
However, I actually give business to other coffee shops and I have been caught in the act recently. For instance, as I write this, I am sitting at Panera, which is about a block and half away from my place of employment. I come here often and enjoy the free internet (which we also offer), the yummy house latte (a drink we do not offer, but could if we really tried) and a nice place to sit and enjoy time alone while I wait for Tom to finish work. A few minutes ago, I ran into one of our Dunn Bros. regulars who was here. I mentioned feeling like it was "illegal" for me to be here, to which he laughed. And then he seemed to explain why he was here instead of there (though he was in earlier todady). Another regular, who works at the shoe store down the street also saw me here the other day. And, earlier this week, I was at a local independent coffeeshop (House of Java) in town where Tom and I go as "our" coffeeshop to relax. As I was coming out of the bathroom, I nearly ran into our food distrubutor delivery man as he was delivering products to that store. He looked at me confused and said "what are you doing here?" but seemed to understand once I explained that it was my day off and I needed somewhere to go to relax.
However, I don't really feel guilty about it (only a little odd when I am found out for my lack of loyalty). It isn't nearly as bad as the sneaky feeling of going to another church occasionally for refreshment when you are on staff at another one. I wonder what this is like in other professions? Where is the line of loyalty expected in different fields?
However, I actually give business to other coffee shops and I have been caught in the act recently. For instance, as I write this, I am sitting at Panera, which is about a block and half away from my place of employment. I come here often and enjoy the free internet (which we also offer), the yummy house latte (a drink we do not offer, but could if we really tried) and a nice place to sit and enjoy time alone while I wait for Tom to finish work. A few minutes ago, I ran into one of our Dunn Bros. regulars who was here. I mentioned feeling like it was "illegal" for me to be here, to which he laughed. And then he seemed to explain why he was here instead of there (though he was in earlier todady). Another regular, who works at the shoe store down the street also saw me here the other day. And, earlier this week, I was at a local independent coffeeshop (House of Java) in town where Tom and I go as "our" coffeeshop to relax. As I was coming out of the bathroom, I nearly ran into our food distrubutor delivery man as he was delivering products to that store. He looked at me confused and said "what are you doing here?" but seemed to understand once I explained that it was my day off and I needed somewhere to go to relax.
However, I don't really feel guilty about it (only a little odd when I am found out for my lack of loyalty). It isn't nearly as bad as the sneaky feeling of going to another church occasionally for refreshment when you are on staff at another one. I wonder what this is like in other professions? Where is the line of loyalty expected in different fields?
No comments:
Post a Comment