In a recent post on my friend (and sister-in-law) Nicole's blog, the topic of people on their phones in public places was analyzed. Shortly after reading this blog, I encountered a funny public display of cell phone use. At Dunn Bros, when I was working, a man came in and set up his laptop and sat for awhile before coming up to order his hot chocolate. Despite the athletic sandals, mesh shorts and orange hooded sweatshirt, I realized this he was at the coffeshop to do some work, which is something I love about coffeeshops and I am glad that we offer that kind of environment for people.
As time went on, part of his working required him to make business calls using his earpiece (I had to check to see who he was talking to at first). This was all ok with me, and we have a number of regular customers who "do business" while sitting in our business. However, after awhile he got up and went outside to smoke while on the phone (on a cold day in his mesh shorts). Then he came back in (still talking). This pattern continued every 30 minutes or so and intermixed in this pattern was him pacing back and forth through our small coffeeshop while on the phone. I realize that sometimes it's easier to talk, or think, when you are pacing pack and forth. But we were not in his living room or office where he walks alone. We were in a public place. This crossed a line of appropriate coffeeshop behavior. It made me laugh each time I observ ed him, but was also amazing to me at the same time that he had no cares of where he was and who else might be forced to listen.
As time went on, part of his working required him to make business calls using his earpiece (I had to check to see who he was talking to at first). This was all ok with me, and we have a number of regular customers who "do business" while sitting in our business. However, after awhile he got up and went outside to smoke while on the phone (on a cold day in his mesh shorts). Then he came back in (still talking). This pattern continued every 30 minutes or so and intermixed in this pattern was him pacing back and forth through our small coffeeshop while on the phone. I realize that sometimes it's easier to talk, or think, when you are pacing pack and forth. But we were not in his living room or office where he walks alone. We were in a public place. This crossed a line of appropriate coffeeshop behavior. It made me laugh each time I observ ed him, but was also amazing to me at the same time that he had no cares of where he was and who else might be forced to listen.
No comments:
Post a Comment