Well, it wasn't actually my tambourine. We left our tambourine at home. It belongs to the church, or at least to someone who plays the drums there. And it was black, not green. (A free coffee, by the way - including mochas, lattes and such - to the first three people to correctly guess both song references). So, this black, borrowed tambourine was there at the right time last Friday evening when I decided to play it.
It would seem natural that anyone who aspires to being a percussionist might start with a tambourine and then move on to bongos and other drums. However, while I have been working on my djembe skills and gaining confidence there in the last couple of years, I had yet to actually play the tambourine during any kind of worship leading until Friday. I would play at home sometimes (not all by myself, though that would be funny), and would hit the tambourine occasionally during the song Those Who Trust, written by Don Chafer of Waterdeep. but would play most of the song on the djembe. The tambourine was scary.But during our "practice" time before the service, Tom was playing that song when I walked into the sanctuary, and I found a tambourine and started playing it. Tom looked at me funny, saying he had never heard me "play like that" before (a hidden compliment). And I actually felt more comfortable playing it for that song than the drum, so I played it during worship. And it seemed to compel others to clap, which is always nice. So . . . apparently I am slowly, slowly, slowly growing in my ability to hit things in time while Tom plays music.
This blog is a tribute to Mr. Joseph Lacine, who hits stuff and it sounds really cool. Call me.
It would seem natural that anyone who aspires to being a percussionist might start with a tambourine and then move on to bongos and other drums. However, while I have been working on my djembe skills and gaining confidence there in the last couple of years, I had yet to actually play the tambourine during any kind of worship leading until Friday. I would play at home sometimes (not all by myself, though that would be funny), and would hit the tambourine occasionally during the song Those Who Trust, written by Don Chafer of Waterdeep. but would play most of the song on the djembe. The tambourine was scary.But during our "practice" time before the service, Tom was playing that song when I walked into the sanctuary, and I found a tambourine and started playing it. Tom looked at me funny, saying he had never heard me "play like that" before (a hidden compliment). And I actually felt more comfortable playing it for that song than the drum, so I played it during worship. And it seemed to compel others to clap, which is always nice. So . . . apparently I am slowly, slowly, slowly growing in my ability to hit things in time while Tom plays music.
This blog is a tribute to Mr. Joseph Lacine, who hits stuff and it sounds really cool. Call me.
1 comment:
Nice job, Tim. (Although I did assume you would know both songs - but maybe not both artists - without looking them up. Looks like you are the only person who desires to have a free coffee. I didn't even say a free coffee WITH me, which may steer some away, but I said a free coffee.
Post a Comment