Thursday, January 18, 2007

"OH YEAH? WELL I'M FRIENDS WITH HIM!"

Snow is really quite beautiful. And it is so peaceful to watch the snow fall down. I like it when it snows. Yet all I seem to hear around here is how people hate the snow, how it's time for winter to end (though it's been a mild winter, with only about 4 small accumulation snowfalls the whole season and it's only January). I don't understand why everyone is so anti-winter around here. I can see some minor complaints when it get's into the single-digits and below zero.

But complaining about winter (which is barely winter) is silly. And I know it goes beyond the shoveling and scraping your car. The hatred is deeper than that, and I don't like it. I feel like it's time that someone (me) start standing up for winter when others put it down. I am at the point of just asking "why don't you move somewhere else?" when people complain. There used to be a commercial on for the Weather Channel where a man walks into a bar from a heavy rain outide and says "I hate the rain!" Another man sitting in the bar looks up, angrily, saying, "Well maybe the rain hates you! Without the rain, who could appreciate the sun? Without the rain, how would the flowers grow." It was one of my favorite commercials at the time, and now I think that it needs to serve as motivation for me to become a cheerleader for winter, shutting down all who verbally get into it's path. Winter is biblical, it is part of a normal, cyclical life and it should no longer be shunned. What I really don't understand is why the snow and cold are percieved as so bad, but 90 degree weather with humidity (where you sweat just sitting there) is seen as the ideal for weather. While others secretly jeer at winter and cheer for el nino and global warming, I will remain a friend of winter (and the other seasons as well).

No comments: