Wednesday, January 31, 2007

SLEEPY REVELATIONS

Two nights ago, I got up in the middle of the night to use to the bathroom (a normal part of most of my nights). We have some beautiful white daisy's on the counter top. I glanced at them while I was washing my hands and noticed that there was a small leaf that was brown and dead. Almost immediately, the verse "he cuts off every branch in me that does not bear fruit" came to mind. Again, almost immediatly, the thought, "how could Jesus have a branch that doesn't bear fruit?" came to mind. I do have a Biblical and Theological Studies major and I was looking at a flower (which isn't a big jump to that particular passage). But I still feel sure that it was revelation rather than my still sleeping mind quoting and pondering Scripture in the middle of the night. I am still fairly new to the whole idea (or at least the experience) of God revealing things to us in this way, but this was an encouraging step in my growth in that area. I am slowly learning to discern more between my voice and God's and slowly learning to step out in faith when I believe that I have heard God.

Anyways, I pondered these thoughts for awhile, as I returned to sleep, but rememberd them again the next day. I am still seeking understanding on the whole passage this Scripture comes out of and have many questions: Can/could Jesus have branches that do not produce fruit? If so, what does this change or affirm in our theology? Do these branches in the beginning of the passage speak of Jesus' personal ministry or of that of his followers - who are the branches of the True Vine? If we are the branches, does the Father simply cut off those areas of our lives that do not produce fruit, or does he cut us off from the Vine of the Kingdom?

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. - john 15:1-8 (niv) -



No comments: