Friday, August 31, 2007

AMAROQ, MY FRIEND


The last two weeks have been full of preparation, anticipation, charts, to-do lists, setting up things, organizing and reading. Reading a lot, actually, at least according to our previous standards of reading. We have been getting ready for our book clubs, which has been the most fun thing to plan for this upcoming school year (starting this Tuesday). It has been fun to plan for other "extra" classes, like art, hands-on science and P.E., but this has been the most fun. We love to read children's and young-readers book, so planning book clubs for groups of students in 1st-8th grade has been really enjoyable.

Wednesday began the reading journey, spending the entire afternoon reading (and occassionaly skimming) through a book of fables, short stories, folktales, poems and a few myths (The Book of Virtues for Young People). This was a mix of enjoyement and stress as I had to read most everything and then pick two or three things to read out-loud in our half hour of reading time on Tuesdays after lunch. Lots of fun stories (some mediocre poems) and a whole lot of virtue. I am a better person for having read this book. (At least the rest of the night it kept me thinking in fables and folktales).

I spent a good chunk of the afternoon yesterday, sitting in a chair in our office reading the first part of Julie of the Wolves (Jean Craighead George). I have always loved adventure books, and Hatchet (Gary Paulsen), which Tom is reading right now for a book club he is preparing, was always a favorite of mine. Somehow I got through childhood without reading about Miyax and her life amongst a wolf pack. It is actually exciting for me to read and imagine, as if I were actually Miyax, and had friends like Kup, Silver and Amaroq. Sometimes I seriously ponder why I didn't end up living in the wild like that. When I was very young, I am told, I began to howl loudly in the movie theater along with the pack during a viewing of Call of the Wild. That was really the start for me, and I am just beginning to remember the extend of my dream to live with wolves, if only for a day.

I am also reading Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing, a Judy Blume classic. Very easy to read, but very realistic and enjoyable. I have only read the first few chapters, which I started this morning, but have enjoyed it so far. I admit, not to the extend of reading about my dream life in the wild, but still very fun. Tom is a quick reader and finished One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (Dr. Suess) in less than one hour! He prepared that book club and will be leading the 1st-2nd graders in that one. We'll take a second now to pause and reflect on how cute that will be . . .

Note: Keep an eye on the lists on the right to see what great books we are reading next!

2 comments:

AL said...

Your first day is today - how exciting!

Christensen 5 said...

How is school going?